Monday, November 01, 2010

GALICIAN NOBILITY



I did enjoy reading, Water-Blue Eyes, the first in Domingo Villar's Inspector Leo Caldas series. This short novel had such a sense of place, that it reminded me of a lovely holiday we had in Northern Spain. My search for the photos of that holiday was finally rewarded, when I discovered that I had saved them on to a disk.
In Galicia we had got into the habit of having a glass, or two, of wine with our lunch and sharing a bottle with fellow tourists at dinner. The cost was about 30 cents a glass, and without thinking I ordered a glass of wine with my meal when we returned on a late flight, and stayed at an airport hotel. £4.50!

According to an old Galician proverb, 'If it has a chapel, a dovecot and a cypress, it really is an ancestral home.' Caldas didn't know whether or not Zuriaga's place housed either of the first two, but it had plenty of nobility.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Norman - This lovely post reminds me of a trip I took to Galicia to deliver paper at a conference. It was a wonderful experience and I thoroughly enjoyed the scenery, the people, the fine wine and the food... You've brought that good experience back :-)

6:36 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Margot-I am pleased I reminded you of that wonderful trip. It is a beautiful area, and one region I would like to return to one day.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Dorte H said...

Spain, here I come!!!

Norman, that second picture is just wonderful.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Thanks Dorte.
I will probably post more of those photos in the next few weeks. I took them with a digital camera, my first, that later was "borrowed" by my son.
After a couple of holidays using an old style camera I bought a new smaller digital camera as it is so much nicer to be able to see them on a large screen.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Jose Ignacio Escribano said...

Interesting view of Palacio de Rajoy, with the Cathedral at your back, Norman.

2:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home