Tuesday, November 30, 2010

2011 GLOBAL READING CHALLENGE: PREVIEW



Dorte at DJS Krimiblog has organized a 2011 Global Reading Challenge following the great success of her 2010 challenge.
I managed the Medium challenge this year, and you can read my 2010 roundup post here, including links to the reviews.

In 2011 I will attempt to reduce my TBR pile by using some of those books in the Medium challenge [two books each from the six continents, twelve different countries, and also two from that seventh continent in my case, History].
My preliminary reading plans, subject to change, for this challenge are:

Africa:
Devil's Peak: Deon Meyer [South Africa]
??????

Asia:
Villain: Shuichi Yoshida [Japan]
Disco for the Departed: Colin Cotterill [Laos]

Australasia:
Gunshot Road: Adrian Hyland [Australia]
?????

Europe:
Prime Time: Liza Marklund [Sweden]
River of Shadows: Valerio Varesi [Italy]

North America:
Havana Fever: Leonardo Padura [Cuba]*
The Song Is You: Megan Abbott [USA]

South America:
The Feast of the Goat: Mario Vargas Llosa [Dominican Republic]*
The next book by Ernesto Mallo [Argentina] ??????

History:
Phantoms of Breslau: Marek Krajewski [Germany 1919]
A Little White Death: John Lawton [England 1963]

* I am allowing myself a certain latitude in placing books from Central America and the Spanish speaking Caribbean.
[Images show the new logo for 2011, and my 2010 challenge books.]

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Norman - Oh, you have some very good choices, there! I'll look forward to reading your reviews of them.

4:44 AM  
Blogger Dorte H said...

Great plan, and it is funny to see that some writers seem to benefit quite a lot from my challenge (e.g. Deon Meyer).

8:32 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

He is going to be the featured guest author at Crime Fest in May, so thanks to your challenge we are getting ahead of the game.

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Ernesto said...

The translation is almost finished. A great job by Katie Silver. We haven't decided the title yet and the date of it's release. But it will be soon enough. I'l let you know. Best, Ernesto Mallo

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A correction: Vargas Llosa is not Dominican, is Peruvian.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Ernesto, thanks very much for the update. I am really looking forward to reading your book.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Thanks Anon. I am sure the book is set in the Dominican Republic, and I had forgotten that Vargas Llosa was Peruvian.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home