Wednesday, June 23, 2010

CAMILLERI COMPETITION: THE ANSWER



The question was:

Why did the first Desert Island castaway make a wartime British Prime Minister admire an Italian dictator?

Simple if you knew I was referring to the BBC radio program Desert Island Discs. The first "castaway" was radio comedian Vic Oliver, who was married from 1936-1945 to Winston Churchill's daughter Sarah.

There is an anecdote that when asked at a dinner party, attended by Oliver, whom he most admired Churchill replied:

"Mussolini" and explained " because he had the good sense to shoot his son- in- law [Count Ciano]."

Copies of August Heat and The Wings of the Sphinx will be sent off to winners in Morpeth, Northumberland and Crawley, Sussex in a few days. Well done!

4 Comments:

Blogger Maxine Clarke said...

Thanks for putting us ignorant readers out of our misery in such an entertaining and educational fashion, Norman! Great answer, and well done to the winners.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Thanks Maxine.
My favourite Winston quote is still:

“Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.”

1:39 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I am so seriously outclassed here! Great question and the answer is even better.

I won't even say what my guess was...

11:35 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Thanks Amy. I will be posting in late November or early December a Winter Festivals Quirky Quiz with more prizes so you will be able to outclass me in that one. ;0)

1:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home