Sunday, April 25, 2010

EVERY CLOUD...



I suppose every cloud has a silver lining and my lack of mobility, following my recent fall and subsequent operation, has meant a chance to watch some superb television series on DVD. Our cable TV links are on the first and second floor, and I have been marooned on the ground floor for most of the past six weeks with a TV set that can only play DVDs.
No election broadcasts, no election debates, no current TV, just the series I choose and a selection of crime fiction books. The silver lining, and the codeine tablets are scrumptious as well.
I will admit I had to stop watching the first series of House as I have quite enough real symptoms without learning about any more.

Great British TV comedy series Dad's Army, Mapp and Lucia, Ever Decreasing Circles and The Good Life kept me amused, while watching John Adams and beginning series one of The West Wing had me glued to the screen with admiration for the better angels of American TV.
I can't understand why I had not watched The West Wing when it was first televised.

It was also very nice today to receive a Sunshine Award especially from Kerrie at Mysteries in Paradise who is an inspiration to us all.
What am I reading at the moment? The Snowman by Jo Nesbo, translated by Don Bartlett.
More on that when I finish reading it tomorrow, but the first sentence of Maxine's review here sums up my opinion so far. I think I have worked out a solution but Nesbo always surprises me, and we will see.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Norman - I have to agree with you - The West Wing was a superb series. I was sorry when it ended, although I admire the writers, etc., for ending the show at a good time, before it went downhill, so to speak.

And congratulations on your richly-deserved Sunshine Award : ). Well done!

I look forward to reading what you thought of The Snowman.

8:45 AM  
Blogger iasa said...

I love Dad's Army and The Good Life. I have never heard of Ever Decreasing Circles, but I see it has Richard Briers in it, so I will have to hunt down a copy.

Hope you continue your recovery and you don't get too bored.

8:53 AM  
Blogger JournoMich said...

I have been wanting to read Jo Nesbo for a long time. I guess it's time I finally did it! I am sorry you are out of commission, but what a way to spend your time on your sofa. I'm a bit jealous.

Michele
SouthernCityMysteries

10:01 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Margot-I have finished two CDs of The West Wing with forty two to go! I got them for a bargain price of £36.00 so hours of great entertainment especially for a geeky American history nerd like me.

Iasa, Ever Decreasing Circles was brilliant and as in The Good Life the supporting cast made the show. There is some wonderful interplay between Briers and his smoothy neighbour played by Peter Egan.

Michele, Jo Nesbo's books are very good, so good they survived publication in English in entirely the wrong order [5,3, 4, 6, 7] to become my favourite police procedural thrillers.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Bernadette said...

The West Wing gets better so you've still got some excellent viewing ahead, even if you do have to leave the ground floor eventually. I think I've watched the whole thing three times right through by now - every year or two we start again from scratch in our house and still manage to find something new and enjoyable in it. Another HBO series that is surprisingly good is Rome, it's shorter (only 2 seasons) but really entertaining historical fiction on tele.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home