Friday, April 30, 2010

BEIJING WHINGE


The power of television is such that I once heard an interview in which Ringo Starr claimed he was asked what he did before he was the voice of Thomas The Tank Engine.
His answer "I was in a group".

John Laurie played Hamlet, Richard III and Macbeth at the Old Vic and Stratford as well as appearing in his friend Lawrence Olivier's three Shakespearian films, but is only known today for his portrayal of Private Frazier in the television series Dad's Army.

I was therefore not surprised to see that my copy of Henning Mankell's The Man from Beijing has a small sticker on it which said "author of the Wallander series" and a photograph of Kenneth Branagh playing Wallander in the BBC television series.

I am mildly irritated that someone thought that Henning Mankell's name [surely in a large enough font] was not enough to sell this book. The thought of some poor employee, or a robotic machine, attaching these stickers to the books I find fairly bizarre.
The book, well so far, despite absence of Kurt Wallander and Kenneth Branagh, I can say that am enjoying reading The Man from Beijing.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kerrie said...

In my review I felt compelled to point out that this was not a Wallander title. The YouTube promo also says "from the autor of the Kurt Wallander mysteries".
Deceptive advertising. A pity, because Beijing is such a good book but some readers will get very aggro when KW doesn't put in appearance.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

I agree Kerrie, I am only about a third in so far but it is gripping stuff.
I think if I had picked it up in a hurry in a bookshop I would have assumed that it was another Wallander book.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Maxine Clarke said...

Lovely post, Norman. "I was in a group", love it!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I actually dreamt the other night that I was on Jeopardy and the final question's answer was Wallander! And I knew it! Yay for good dreams!

I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy the book...

Hey, did you ever post the Spring Quiz answers? I never found them but dying to know if I was even mildly on the correct track! LMK, thanks

10:41 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Thanks Amy, there were no correct answers, so I am going to repost the questions in a longer summer quiz in a few weeks.
I am still enjoying Beijing and can't understand why they did not think it was strong enough to stand on its own merits without a photo of Wallander/Branagh.

5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home