Sunday, April 18, 2010

ANOTHER DAY, ANOTHER CHALLENGE



Another day, another challenge.
Dorte's 2010 Global Challenge is well advanced with only two Australasian books [both on my TBR pile] and one South American [on the way] to be read to complete my twelve books from six continents.
My plans for the rest of the year include reading all the short list for the CWA International Dagger, and attempting to pick the winner, something I failed to do last year.
To assist in reading all International Dagger short list I have taken up the Scandinavian Reading Challenge 2010 at The Black Sheep Dances to read six books this year, or in my case before that short list is announced at Crime Fest.
I have over four weeks to go till Crime Fest so I hope to get through my Scandinavians and then read any non-Nordics on the International short list.
Perhaps there might be some French crime fiction on the list.

I have started the Scandinavian Challenge with The Water's Edge by that charming Norwegian author Karin Fossum.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Norman - I very much admire what you've taken on! I know that I couldn't, that's for sure. I look forward to hearing about your progress...

9:59 AM  
Blogger Dorte H said...

Are you sure you will be able to resist the expert level of the global challenge? :D

Enjoy The Water´s Edge! It is probably the first Scandinavian novel I have read in English (but Maxine offered me her ARC, and I couldn´t wait).

11:28 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Margot- I have cheated a bit by doubling up my alphabets and global challenges. I am actually only on my 18th book of the year.
I expect I have read a few of the the International Dagger shortlist already, such as The Darkest Room-Johan Theorin, The Wings of the Sphinx-Andrea Camilleri and Hornets' Nest-Stieg Larsson. My six Scandinavian choices will cover a couple more, so I hope to be ahead of the game.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Dorte- I can resist Antarctic books even when encouraged by you. ;o)
Maxine is very generous with her ARCs, I am enjoying The Water's Edge so far.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Maxine Clarke said...

Norman, do tell what you did for Antartica. I have Jose's recommendations to try: one of them looks OK. But I really don'g want to read Nazi/gold/Hammond Innes style stuff. Any guidance you can give would be much appreciated.

I seem to have a little pile of "read" books so must offer a few around. I've sent Michelle my copy of Wings of the Sphinx (which I got from the ever-generous Karen) - I hope she likes it as much as I did.

The Water's Edge is pretty bleak, but an absorbing read as usual with Karin Fossum.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Sorry Maxine I said I CAN resist Antarctic books. You obviously thought I would be putty in Dorte's hands. ;o) And I did not make myself very clear, probably as I am still doped up on codeine. My GP has prescribed enough codeine and paracetamol for me to open up in opposition to the Cali cartel.
I am enjoying The Water's Edge, I like books with horrible male characters, I can point out to Mrs C who they resemble and how different from them I am. :o)

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home