Tuesday, January 19, 2010

CRIME FICTION ALPHABET: N IS FOR NEMESIS AND NESBO



My contribution this week to the Crime Fiction Alphabet meme hosted at Kerrie's Mysteries in Paradise is N for Nemesis and Nesbo.

The Norwegian writer Jo Nesbo is one of Europe's top crime writers and has an excellent website here.

The phenomenal success of Jo Nesbo's books is based on stunning plot twists, and the fascinating lead protagonist and anti-hero Harry Hole; someone you can't help liking even though he has more than his fair share of problems.
Four of the Harry Hole books have been brilliantly translated into English by Don Bartlett. Here I should issue a warning if you are ever getting Don to sign a book. Keep you wits about you, or you may be knocked off your feet by crowds of his female admirers.


The seventh Harry Hole, The Snowman is published this year in English.
Since that post the eighth Harry Hole, The Leopard was published in Norway and jumped straight to number one in the best sellers.
The first two books in the series have not been translated into English.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Norman - Thanks for profiling Jo Nesbo and Nemesis. Harry Hole is really a fascinating character, warts and all. In fact, I think his "warts" contribute to his likability.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Bernadette said...

I really must have another go at Jo Nesbo. I tried The Redbreast last year and got a bit bogged down with the flashbacks to the trenches of world war whatever it was - I just wasn't in the mood for that at the time although I was enjoying the present day storyline.

This is off topic but I have to say thank you so much for introducing me to Ariana Franklin - I am about half way through MISTRESS OF THE ART OF DEATH which I procured after reading your review when you featured her as your contribution to F and am thoroughly enjoying it - one of those books where I want to read fast and slow at the same time. I find historical fiction a bit hit or miss but I am loving this one.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

The Redbreast was I agree the sort of book you needed to be in the right mood to read. Personally i thought Nemesis and The Devil's Star were slightly better books.
I am so pleased you are enjoying the Ariana Franklin, and I know what you mean by the fast/slow syndrome. There are some books that are just so easy to read that the pages just slip by too quickly.

4:49 AM  
Blogger Kerrie said...

Thanks for this one Norman. I have enjoyed all the Nesbo titles that I have read

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Lydia Hirt said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Declanfan said...

Thanks for the praise for Nesbo. I have really enjoyed the "Harry Hole" series so far. (FYI, I think it's "tidbits", certainly a Freudian slip).

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home