Friday, October 02, 2009

READING THE ELLIS PETERS SHORTLIST



Earlier this year I managed to read all the CWA International Dagger shortlisted novels and made a complete hash of picking the eventual winner. I still think my selection was a better novel than the winner.

Now I intend to read all the six CWA Ellis Peters Historical Award shortlisted books and try and select a winner before the award ceremony on 29 October.
I have already read and reviewed:


The other four books are in planned reading order:

The Empty Death: Laura Wilson
The Redemption of Alexander Seaton: Shona MacLean
The Interrogator: Andrew Williams
The Dead of Winter: Rennie Airth

I thought I was fixated on books about the collapse of the Weimar Republic and the Second World War but the judging panel have come up with a rather unbalanced shortlist, or is it that the Nazi and wartime period can provide such bizarre characters, complex plots and tense atmosphere. The six books in order from the The Information Officer are set in 1942, 1934 and 1954, 1944, 1626, 1941 and 1944. The year 1944 seems to have had a lot happening on all fronts.

Update: I should have said that my review of The Interrogator will appear on Euro Crime.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dorte H said...

I am looking forward to your review of Wilson´s book.

I have Stratton´s War on my shelf, and I enjoyed her debut thoroughly.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Karen (Euro Crime) said...

The Interrogator is en route :).

10:25 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Thanks Karen, with the post so unreliable I put The Interrogator at number three on my list, but that is good news.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Dorte, I have Stratton's War on my TBR shelf but never got round to reading it, but after Jo Nesbo I am used to reading out of order.

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home