Thursday, October 01, 2009

H.R.F. KEATING AND SIMON BRETT



My second visit to the Budleigh Salterton Literary Festival was on a Sunday morning when firstly we were entertained by a brilliant solo virtuoso performance by Simon Brett. I had heard Simon quite recently at the Bristol Crime Fest and once again he kept his audience laughing for the hour, quite an accomplishment at that time of the morning.

The second event was the CWA Cartier Diamond Dagger winning author H.R.F. Keating interviewed by Simon Brett. Harry Keating is in his 80s, he looked rather frail and told us he was not very well and that was why he had agreed to an interview rather than attempting a solo performance.
The interview was very interesting even though it is many years since I read any of the Inspector Ghote books. Harry Keating was kind enough to sign one of his recent Harriet Martens novels and pose for a photograph.
I vaguely remember the Ghote books as being rather gentle and am interested to see how an elderly Henry Reymond [the correct spelling] Fitzwalter Keating deals with the modern world.
I must say Harry Keating did seem very much at home in the genteel English seaside town of Budleigh Salterton, which sometimes appears to be in a pleasant time warp.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kerrie said...

That would have been an excellent session to attend Norman - and I'm getting to stage where I might even recognise you in the street (if I knew I was meeting you)
HRF Keating is 83 or thereabouts, and he has well over 50 books to his credit. THE PERFECT MURDER is my "forgotten book" this week.

2:14 AM  
Blogger Dorte H said...

A pleasant time warp - Oh, I´d love to stay there indefinitely :D

Especially if I could run into you and some of all your writing friends.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Kerrie I have to have my photo taken with 83 year olds to look a bit younger. Harry Keating was a charming gentleman and very brave to appear after Simon Brett's fireworks.

Dorte, it would be lovely to run into you. Bristol Crime Fest 2010 would be a good time for all of us bloggers to meet up?

7:43 AM  
Blogger Kerrie said...

Sounds like something good to aim for Norman. Do you have the dates?

2:35 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Kerrie it is from the 20-23 May 2010.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home