Thursday, June 18, 2009

THE URIAH QUARTETS:TRAVEL



The four play meme has become one the most popular on the web and features on several crime fiction sites such as The Rap Sheet, Reactions to Reading, Detectives Beyond Borders, Big Beat from Badsville and Mysteries in Paradise. Apologies if I have left anyone out.
If you type "four play meme" into google the "numero uno" position is occupied by Crimeficreader.

I have decided to dip in to this meme but as is my usual habit alter it slightly to reflect more emphasis on crime fiction. So here is my variation of a meme:

1] FOUR places I have visited in Europe partially inspired by reading crime fiction:

Perugia, Italy- Michael Dibdin's Aurelio Zen book Ratking
Stockholm, Sweden- Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo: The Martin Beck series
Amsterdam, Netherlands- Nicholas Freeling's Van Der Valk series
Paris, France- Georges Simenon's Maigret series

2] FOUR places I have visited in the USA partially inspired by reading crime fiction:

Canyon du Chelly, Window Rock, Arizona and Acoma Pueblo, and Gallup, New Mexico- Tony Hillerman's Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn Navajo Mysteries [this visit was totally inspired by the Hillerman books]

Boston, Massachusetts- Robert Parker, the Spenser books
Fredericksburg, Virginia- the early Patricia Cornwell books
San Francisco- The Maltese Falcon, Dashiell Hammett

3] FOUR places I want to visit before I die.

Sicily- In view of the fact that I have lauded Andrea Camilleri's Montalbano book so many times I am ashamed to admit I have never been to Sicily. The furthest south in Italy I have been is Paestum, south of Salerno.

Venice- Donna Leon's Brunetti
Oslo-Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole
Bruges- The film In Bruges

4] FOUR of the beautiful places I have visited:

The Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill, Harrodsburg Kentucky
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Siena, Italy
Florence, Italy

That is "four by four" so all for now but I will come back to this meme in the future.

7 Comments:

Blogger crimeficreader said...

Google is consistently inconsistent, if nothing else. Thanks for noting that Norm; I find it funny that the search doesn't even completely match the post title! But some good news on the blog front: since yesterday Google is picking up my blog posts again. What happened? I haven't a clue. Alas, a couple of books appear to be slower in getting back on board, but at least it's moving in the right direction!

Love the pics in this post. Agree with you on Venice, I'd like to go there too. Had it planned a couple of years or so ago, but it didn't come off. If you need some assistance with planning, especially on cutting costs, let me know. I did an awful of research at the time...

Funny that you mention Bruges (I have been there) and the movie In Bruges (I watched it yesterday). From the shots in the film, I don't think I got around far enough. There seemed to be more of Bruges than I ever saw at the time. Although if I ever get to return, I can forego the dwarves and prostitutes in 5* bedrooms as well as the guns...

9:56 AM  
Blogger crimeficreader said...

PS, Italy has never been a major destination for me and you mentioned Siena and Florence in your most beautiful places. One day I hope to visit both!

9:58 AM  
Blogger Dorte H said...

A nicely criminal take on this one, Norman :D

10:52 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Thanks CFR I had forgotten I wanted to go to Seville-Robert Wilson's Javier Falcon at some stage.
I think it was the fact that the accommodation in those places was superb as well. I could have mentioned Santiago del Compostela, or Vermont or the Napa Valley or the mountains near Asheville NC or Crete or Helsinki in winter. Holidays away from the whine of a dental drill were very precious as you can go completely potty looking into mouths all day long. I admit to spending far too much on holidays over the years.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Thanks Dorte. I tried to introduce crime fiction and in future posts I will have some more ideas on this theme.

11:40 AM  
Blogger crimeficreader said...

LOL. "...Holidays away from the whine of a dental drill were very precious as you can go completely potty looking into mouths all day long..."

My lost career at 19!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Philip Amos said...

If you would like ad interim a visit to Seville vicarious and criminal, you might keep in mind The Seville Communion by Arturo Perez-Reverte, author of the similarly wonderful The Dumas Club and The Flanders Panel, and potentially one of my desert island crime writers if he would only write more books in that vein and fewer in the mode adventurous, though his Captain Alatriste series is said to be splendid.

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home