Thursday, May 28, 2009

SIMON BRETT INTERVIEWED BY GYLES BRANDETH



This session was very amusing as Gyles Brandeth and Simon Brett knew each other very well and the jokes flowed back and forth. Gyles apologizing for once being an MP and making a joke about finding his feminine side and his subsequent inability to park his car, which I would not have the cheek to repeat here.  ;o)

I was particularly interested in that Simon and I had been at Dulwich College at the same time although he is a bit younger. Also I read that he was born in Worcester Park just across the A3 from where I worked in New Malden for 17 eventful years. 
Simon mentioned the opening at Dulwich of the Raymond Chandler Library by crime writer Tom Rob Smith and the existing of the P.G.Wodehouse Library. My memory might be faulty but in my days at Dulwich 1955-1961 Chandler and Wodehouse were not as highly regarded by the school as another very famous writer and Old Alleynian O.A. C.S.Forester
The reasons were that Chandler was a "crime writer" who had gone to Hollywood, and Wodehouse had broadcast from Berlin during the war, see here.

Simon discussed his time at Oxford , his job as a Father Christmas, his interest in acting, his career with BBC Radio, his  involvement with the pilot episode of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, his time with London Weekend television, and his creation of Charles Paris, the acting detective. It was all fascinating stuff and very enjoyable, so enjoyable in fact that I bought one of Simon's books at full price and had it inscribed "to another O.A."       

2 Comments:

Anonymous Michael Walters said...

I somehow contrived to miss this one - probably just panel overload at the time - which, on the basis of your account, I now rather regret! Incidentally, if you haven't read it, I'd thoroughly recommend Brandreth's 'Breaking the Code' - a selection of his diaries from his period as an MP. They're funny, remarkably honest, and provide an interesting perspective on the current debacle. I can understand why Brandreth irritates some people, but I find him very hard to dislike.

4:19 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Thanks Michael. I was beginning to suffer from overload around this time and only attended one more interview.

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home