Saturday, May 09, 2009

THE RETURN: HAKAN NESSER



I have moved on to read The Return by Hakan Nesser which is the third book in his Inspector Van Veeteren series.
The clever Literature Maps website here shows that the closest author to Hakan Nesser is Andrea Camilleri, which is probably why I am really enjoying this series. 
You can read my previous posts about Van Veeteren here.

I like the way he blends the very black humour into the police procedural format, and that reminds me a lot of the Martin Beck series. 

"Do nothing!" said Van Veeteren. "I'm on my way."
He started to climb out of bed, but at that very moment the doors opened and in marched an unexpectedly large squad of personnel dressed in green.

The receiver was left dangling. 
"Hello?' said Munster. "Are you still there?"
The nurse picked it up.
"Mr Van Veetern has just left for the operating theatre," she explained and replaced the receiver. 

2 Comments:

Blogger Dorte H said...

What a great quotation. I don´t even remember that one, but I must have read it some years ago.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

The first part of The Return seems full of great passages but it dates from 1995.

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home