Monday, May 25, 2009

JOHN HARVEY AT CRIME FEST 2009



I planned  to attend the Paul Johnston interview of veteran crime writers John Harvey and Bill James, which I thought would be a highlight of the convention. Unfortunately Bill James was unable to attend because of a family emergency but John and Paul gave us full value and the sparse attendance was very surprising.

John began by reading extracts from a favourite Bill James Harpur and Iles novel Roses, Roses. He then went on to talk about his own long career, writing westerns, the Resnick books, the attempt to put Resnick on TV with Tom Wilkinson, and retirement. 
At the end he gave a long list of books that he particularly enjoyed and I was pleased that he chose The Man Who Like Slow Tomatoes by K.C. Constantine, one of my featured Dartmoor Dozen.

3 Comments:

Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I skipped the Bill James interview when I found out Bill James would not be there, but it would have been interesting to discuss "Roses, Roses." That was my first Harpur & Iles novel, and a tour de force of technique it is, too.
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

10:25 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

John Harvey is still miffed at the attendance. See http://mellotone70up.wordpress.com/2009/05/28/notts-70-bristol-25/

I think my photos show how sparse the attendance was which was a great shame as you missed a very good session.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I'm pretty good about attending as many panels as I can. I believe the conflicting panel was also attractive, a shame as I thought I'd have to miss it to attend the James interview. To me, as you know, James is the ne plus ultra of crime writers. When he couldn't make it, I'd have decided to attend the other session after all.
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
“Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home”
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home