Thursday, December 04, 2008

THIS YEAR'S NEW AUTHORS [TO ME]

I have been tagged by Peter of Detectives Beyond Borders for an interesting meme. I am a bit anti-meme, because they impose conditions on fellow bloggers who are usually free spirits, but this is fairly easy for me because I have listed all the books I have read this year in my journal.

The idea is that you list all the authors that you have read for the first time this year and bold face them if they are debut novels and then tag others to do the same. I will not tag any other bloggers but obviously anyone is able to perform this exercise if they wish to on their own blogs. 
I have varied the process slightly in that I have italicized debut novels and starred those authors whose books I will seek out in 2009. I have also put an exclamation mark alongside those authors whose books I really did not enjoy. 

In The Woods: Tana French
The Big O: Declan Burke*
The Cat Trap: K.T.McCaffrey*
A Vengeful Longing: R.N.Morris*
Some Bitter Taste:Magdalen Nabb
Mistress of The Art of Death: Ariana Franklin*
Manhattan Nocturne: Colin Harrison
Three to Kill: Jean-Patrick Manchette*
Death in Breslau: Marek Krajewski*
The Natural Disorder of Things: Andrea Cannobio!
The Snake Stone: Jason Goodwin*
The Man in the Window: K.O.Dahl*
Echoes From the Dead: Johan Theorin*
Death Rites: Alicia Gimenez-Bartlett
Volk's Games: Brent Ghelfi
Lorraine Connection: Dominique Manotti*
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo: Stieg Larsson*
The Serbian Dane: Leif Davidsen*
Detective Inspector Irene Huss: Helene Tursten*
The Ice Princess: Camilla Lackberg*
The Skull Mantra: Eliot Pattison*
The Sun King Rises; Yves Jego and Denis Lepree
The Maze of Cadiz: Aly Monroe
Dante's Numbers: David Hewson!
Blood of the Wicked: Leighton Gage*
Second Violin: John Lawton*
Deadline: Stella Rimington

As you will see I had a mostly positive experience with new authors and went on to read second books written by Jason Goodwin, Ariana Franklin, John Lawton and Leighton Gage. 
I am reading my 52nd crime fiction book of the year and another new author for me:
Last Rituals : Yrsa Sigurdardottir* 

6 Comments:

Blogger Karen (Euro Crime) said...

I might have a go at this meme. Is there an exclamation mark missing against ms monroe? :)

7:50 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

There should be but as I appear to be in a minority of one I left it off in a conciliatory mood. Perhaps a Freudian slip, that's what comes of reading Frank Tallis.
I don't think it was quite as a bad as the other two books but the other reviews state that the hero/main/only protagonist of Maze of Cadiz, Peter Cotton is 'interesting if not compelling', 'callow' and 'inexperienced'.
I am still puzzling how 'Cadiz' reminded the reviewer of Casablanca, my copy of the book missed out the Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henried and Humphrey Bogart characters. ;O)

8:36 AM  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Karen, have a go at the meme by all means! I had just posted to Uriah that I have some misigivngs about restricting a meme to a given number of people. Of course, he may have tagged you already.

Uriah, I commend you for your even more elaborate system of claaifying your choices -- a luxury edition of the meme.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

10:34 AM  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Nice list, old chum. I may plunder it in the coming months.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

1:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sitting here chuckling at those exclamation marks! Very generous of you to avoid the hat trick.
I'm just doing this meme now, as I had a list of the books I've reviewed this year. A slight "cheat" as I didn't necessarily read them all this year, as some were hangovers from last, but near enough.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Kerrie said...

I posted mine at http://paradise-mysteries.blogspot.com/2008/12/crime-fiction-discoveries-in-2008.html and linked to you Norman

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home