Thursday, June 12, 2008

CRIME IN TRANSLATION: SATURDAY'S LAST PANEL



I have nothing but admiration for those that can speak several languages. My own lack of any linguistic ability I put down to the fact that my best friend at school had an Austrian father and French mother. This advantageous start in life sent him to Oxford to read languages while I trooped off to Bristol to drill and fill. 

The Euro Crime cabal were out in force for the last Saturday panel session and I had passed over what looked like two other excellent panels for this one. It was certainly worth it Karin Fossum, Gilbert Gallerne, Ros Schwartz and Yrsa Sigurdardottir  contributed interesting points and Ann Cleeves was an excellent moderator.

I had not realised just how emotionally involved the translator could get until Ros Schwartz commented that it took her nine months to translate a book and she thought that was an appropriate gestation period. 

During the afternoon Petrona recommended The Silent Sleep of the Dying by Keith McCarthy based on his appearance on a panel on Friday. Of course I bought the book and on opening it I noted that Keith McCarthy had been educated at Dulwich College. 

What is it about Dulwich that inspires writers [Chandler, Tom Rob Smith, C.S. Forester, P.G.Wodehouse] and also an interest in crime fiction?

Well Dulwich in the 1950s was a little bit like a Stalinist gulag, but then I am probably being unfair. 
Dulwich was far more competitive than a gulag and the weak were similarly left behind to wither away. Fond memories.....

The whole day was very stimulating and at the end while chatting with Karin Fossum as she signed my book purchases I learned that she had spent two years working with people with learning disabilities. 
Which reminds me I have to attend a meeting to attend tomorrow concerning the closure of Blackerton.......

I hope to attend the whole event next year and hopefully there will be some more translated crime fiction writers among the guests authors. 
All in all a very enjoyable day.

Lorraine Connection nominated for this years CWA Duncan Lawrie International Dagger was written by Dominque Manotti and translated from the French by Amanda Hopkinson and Ros Schwartz.

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I'm starting to wish I had attended. I'd have loved to ask Karin Fossum some questions.
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

11:26 PM  
Blogger crimeficreader said...

I loved this panel and found it very informative, as well as intriguing when it comes to how translation works. I intend to write up my notes on my blog at some time in the future.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home