Thursday, April 17, 2008

MORE BOOKS MORE READING









I seem to have collected rather a lot of books to read, and am now delving into two at the same time.
I must in future control this serious addiction or else I won't be able to get into my study/large cupboard.
Of course I always have an excuse for getting a book, and I am also guilty of sending in an email to Euro Crime's numero uno Karen to sneak the best books from under the noses of the top reviewers.
My excuse for buying Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin was that I am going to the Saturday of Crime Fest in Bristol and hope to attend the panel Thoroughly Modern Millie-The Historical Female Sleuth with Ms Franklin participating.
The other featured authors on this panel are Rhys Bowen, Patricia Finney and Laurie R. King and the moderator is Andrew Taylor so it should be one of the highlights of the day.
However I might be directed to another panel going on at the same as more appropriate for me.
"Big Bellies-Crime Writers Chew The Fat"
I have also started to read Ken Bruen's Cross the sequel to Priest; if you did not know better you might think the Irish were a bit obsessive about religion.
On the shelf ready to read is Manhattan Nocturne by Colin Harrison which was sent to me to review by Picador USA.
The blurb says it is a "roaring story of power, lust, greed and very human folly...." and "spares no detail of sex and violence."
I wonder why they thought I would be interested.
My review of Cross will appear on Euro Crime.
My reviews of Mistress of the Art of Death, a mixture of Kathy Reich and Philip Kerr set in 12th century England, and of Manhattan Nocturne will appear on Crime Scraps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home