Friday, January 04, 2008

BURKE'S LAW: FOR THOSE TOO YOUNG TO KNOW




I have been told that most readers won't appreciate my witty reference to Burke's Law while reviewing Declan Burke's The Big O.


It's my age.......I remember Bill and Ben The Flower Pot Men and Weed, and Andy Pandy, and Muffin the Mule................


Burke's Law was a detective series which ran on ABC from 1963 to 1966 and was revived on CBS in the 1990s. The original show starred Gene Barry as Amos Burke, millionaire Los Angeles Chief of Detectives, who was chauffeured around to solve crimes in his Rolls-Royce. [From Wikpedia]

3 Comments:

Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

On the contrary! This reader appreciated the reference all the more because he hadn't ever seen the series (though I remembered the title). The reference occasioned this current illuminating post. I'd never known until now that Gene Barry ever did anything except appear on American television game shows.
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

1:01 PM  
Blogger Philip Amos said...

Ah yes -- Bill and Ben, Muffin, Andy, The Woodentops, Billy Bunter...I don't have to remember them well because they're all on Youtube!

6:28 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Ah good...I can go over there to realise how old I am!
I never liked Billy Bunter, possibly a bit too close to me in shape, but used to read Tom Merry, another public school saga of incredible political incorrectness.
I am very surprised Muffin is on Youtube as it was almost in the days of John Logie Baird.

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home