Tuesday, September 25, 2007

NORWEGIAN PUZZLE


I really don't understand the publishing industry. Perhaps someone could explain to a simple amateur blogger the treatment dished out to Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole series.

I read The Devils Star earlier in the year and my review is at:




This was number 5 in the series; I am now reading The Redbreast [review on Eurocrime shortly] which apparently is number 3 in the series.


In March next year The House of Pain is to be published in English and this seems to be number 4 in the series.


If the other books were below par and The Devils Star was outstanding I might understand the order, but The Redbreast was voted the best ever Norwegian crime novel. On top of this the winner of The Glass Key Award for the best Nordic Crime novel in 1998 was Flaggermusmannen, the first Harry Hole.
I just don't get it, why not translate them in the correct order?








4 Comments:

Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Fred Vargas' English-languages publishers have done something similar. Have Mercy on Us All, Seeking Whom He May Devour and Wash This Blood Clean From My Hand, published in that order in English, are respectively the third, second and sixth of her Adamsberg novels.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

3:36 PM  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I forgot to mention that the out-of-order translation of Nesbø's books comes as close as any such thing does to bothering me. That's because that chilling conclusion of The Devil's Star robs The Redbreast of part of its suspense.

Don't worry; I'm giving nothing away by telling you this. You'll know what I mean as soon as you get to it, if you haven't already. In this case, I would have preferred that the English-language publishers issue the books in the order of their Norwegian publication.
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

10:59 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

The Redbreast and Devil's Star are both fantastic even read out of order.
I am reaching the denouement of Redbreast and am looking forward to The House of Pain in March.

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Completely agree Peter, Devil's Start contains too many spoilers for the Redbreast, so it is irritating reading them out of Order.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home