Thursday, September 28, 2006

GOLDEN OLDIES

I knew I had been reading crime fiction for a long long time, and deep in the recesses of our garage I found this Simenon golden oldie published in the UK in 1976.

From the Introduction:

Georges Simenon was born at Liege in Belgium in 1903........He has published over 180 novels in his own name, 67 of which belong to the Inspector Maigret series, and his work has been published in 32 languages. He has had a great influence upon the French cinema, and more than 40 of his novels have been filmed.

What a superb body of work Simenon left for us to enjoy.

I wonder who was the better British television Maigret, Rupert Davis 1960-1969, or Michael Gambon 1992-1993?

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I watched all the Michael Gambon Maigrets a couple of years ago. Budapest made a wonderful Paris. This Web site http://www.trussel.com/f_maig.htm has information on film Maigrets, television Maigrets, and just about anything else. It's one of the more comprehensive sites I know of.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I read a possibly apochryphal story about Simenon and Alfred Hitchcock. According to this story, Hitchcock visited Simenon's office, and Simenon's secretary said: "I'm sorry, Mr. Simenon can't see you now. He's writing novel," to which Hitchcock is said to have replied: "I'll wait."

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home