Wednesday, September 13, 2006

CRIMINAL CONNECTIONS

The Richardson Gang was a 1960s group of South London criminals. Less well remembered than their rivals the Krays, they nevertheless had a reputation in their heyday as being some of London's most infamous and sadistic gangsters. Also known as the 'Torture Gang', their "speciality" was pinning victims to the floor with 6inch nails and removing the victims' toes with bolt cutters. [from Wikpedia]

These charming guys were our neighbours in the early 1960's as our back garden joined on to the notorious Peckford's Scrap Metal Yard. [Crime Scraps see ok a bit pathetic]

I remember them as being very handsome more like Robin Hoods than real criminals. Yes the Richardsons and their chief enforcer Mad Frankie Fraser [the dentist] are still alive!

I think my sheltered childhood, it was too dangerous to go out after school in Camberwell, led to me becoming a voracious reader.

I am just about to finish the Peter Robinson book Piece of My Heart, before moving on to a European crime book [not sure which one yet]. I suspect the road manager of the Mad Hatters, or Tania, but am probably completely wrong.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting that you had such notorious neighbours -- whereabouts was the scrap metal yard?

5:12 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

The Richardsons had 5 scrap metal yards around South London this one was in Lomond Grove just off Camberwell Road.

Nearby was Clubland a youth club where Michael Caine got his start.

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for getting back. I love all that street-lore. Once lived in Clapham for about a year. Haven't been back in a while. Good luck. Joe.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Clapham is now South Chelsea so i am told! When I last drove through last year there were trendy French, Argentinian, and Mexican restaurants everywhere. A lot different from my days living in South London in the 1950s and 1960s.
Thanks for dropping by.

3:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting, I've been delving into my Mother's background and believe she may have been well acquainted with the Richardson's. She grew up in Westmoreland Road, Camberwell in the 50's / 60's which I believe is close to where their scrapyards were. Were they admired somewhat by the local community then?

6:54 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

They were admired by some and the story is their violence was only perpetrated against crooks and not 'civilians'.

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home